[Lispweb] lisp implementations and threading

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Mon Aug 20 10:40:43 CDT 2001

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso at mclink.it> writes:

> On 10 Aug 2001 09:53:59 -0500, Craig Brozefsky <craig at red-bean.com> wrote:
>
> > LispWorks for Linux.  Also, I had heard about a project to add kernel
> > threads to CMUCL, does anyone have information on this, including how
> > one could offer financial support?
>
> The only CMU CL thread-related project I have heard of is a proprietary one
> that one of the original developers is doing on behalf of a company. If you

If SBCL counts as CMUCL-related, I am presently engaged[*] in adding
thread support to SBCL.  These will be userland threads, but I can see
a few changes that I think will make them faster than the present
CMUCL implementation anyway.  Except for SMP I'm not sure what native
threads buys on a Lisp, given that (a) userland threads can be faster
anyway, and (b) all "normal" IO gets channeled through the library in
such a way that it can be made non-blocking.  In fact, in CMUCL and
SBCL it already is; this is how serve-event works.

I'm pretty sure this is not what Craig was thinking of, however, as I
only started it about a week ago.  More details on the sbcl-devel
list, or ask on irc (irc.openprojects.net, #lisp)

[*] For "engaged" read "hacking on my own time".  Open to offers, though.

-dan

--

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources