[Lispweb] which Lisp?

mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 26 01:08:37 CST 2002

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 01:32:10AM -0500, Andy Cavatorta wrote:
> I'm getting ready to write my first Lisp application, a port an existing
> app.  But I'm getting bogged down at the start with the menagerie of Lisp
> implementations, libraries, and compatibility issues.
>
> Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> I'm looking for an implementation (+libs) with the following features:
> 1. Robust XML generator and parser that can automatically convert XML to
> and from native Lisp data OR work with W3C DOM methods.
> 2. HTTP serving of XML documents (need control of mime types)
> 2b. Parsing of values in HTTP CGI environment.
> 3. Database connectivity.  Currently using RDBMS with atomic transactions
> and stored procedures but could go with PLOB or something similar.
> 4. Interact with IMAP, POP3, LDAP and SMTP servers.  This could also be a
> connection to Java classes that talk to the servers, if need be.
> 5. Efficient filesystem access.
> 6. Runs on Win32. But I won't rule out Linux or BSD.
>
> Is there an implementation that supports all these features?  I keep
> finding partial support.  I'd be glad to write some of these features
> myself, but I've already got a lot to write.
>
> - any pointers would be helpful
> - andy c

I think you probably have ruled out any of the free Lisps (maaaybe CLISP
would do).  As far as commercial Lisps go, you've got Xanalys LispWorks,
Franz's Allegro CL, and Corman CL which run on Win32.  I'm pretty sure
the first two have you covered on almost all points (not sure about 4),
don't know about Corman.  I've heard it's got good FFI though (but so
do the others).

CMUCL or SBCL might cover much of the ground on the Linux/BSD platforms
too.  But your best bet is the commercial ones, I think.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.