[Lispweb] CLiki fixes

Francois-Rene Rideau fare at tunes.org
Wed May 19 17:17:23 CDT 2004

Dear Lispers,

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 08:56:43PM +0200, rm at fabula.de wrote:
> [...] i just installed a new Cliki from scratch
> (i.e. pristine sbcl-mt and with araneida (0.84) and cliki (0.4.3)).
>
> Now, i can't create new files. [...]

Now is a good time to announce that http://cliki.tunes.org, aka CTO,
which is based on the latest cliki and araneida from cvs.telent.net,
has fixed several issues with these software.
Improvements in decreasing degrees of importance:

1- indexing of backlinks and topic contents now works correctly
 (hasn't worked for a long time, if it ever worked correctly)

2- _(label|link) and _(label|http://url) style of links,
 (it's now well supported including for indexing of backlinks)

3- can view source for older revisions by clicking
 (makes it easier to salvage old data from e.g. vandalism)

4- better consistency checking at initialization time
 (only for administrators who edit titles files or have truly old clikis)

5- Cleanups and packaging for developers, so you can embrace and extend CTO
 (instead of a klugy fork from old versions of araneida and cliki)

Note however that I was still experiencing some server instabilities
due to failed HTTP transactions of some kinds with possibly bad clients.
I moved CTO behind an apache reverse proxy, as does dan_b himself,
which means that we can hopefully experience more stability
without having to fix deeper bugs in araneida or cliki.
Explanations given in 01INSTALL; dig CVS for the old setup if needed.

If you're going to install a CLiki, I do recommend that you use CTO as a basis.
I use an experimental server based on CTO to test stuff at work.

Explanations for downloading CTO are given at the bottom of
	http://cliki.tunes.org/cliki

PS: all the cliki modifications proper are nicely gathered in file
cliki-patch.lisp with detailed explanations.
That ought to make it easier for dan to understand the patch and merge it back.
It can also make it easier for you to have a glance into cliki,
and to embrace and extend it.

Happy happy hacking.

The people cannot delegate to government the power to do
anything which would be unlawful for them to do themselves.
	-- John Locke, "A Treatise Concerning Civil Government"