[Lispweb] production setup

mrd mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 2 11:45:36 CDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 02:06:20PM +0200, Damir Horvat wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I'd like to know what is your preffered web development environment?
>
> I have tryed UCW both on Cmucl (FreeBSD) and SBCL (Linux). Works nice on
> SBCL setup, but it's kinda tough for a beginner like me.
>
> Next I've tryed KPAX on Cmucl (FreeBSD) - had some lenghty delays while
> processing requests. Sven kindly explained KPAX works best with
> LispWorks. So I've installed LW Personal Edition on 2.6 Linux, added
> KPAX and it works nice. Problem is, I don't have money to buy LW
> Professional... So this is not an option for me...
>
> So I ask here, what is your preferred _free_ setup for web development
> using Lisp, which you also consider production ready?
> Are you using SQL or some in-memory database?

I use UCW + SBCL + Apache mod_lisp + CLSQL + postgresql on Linux.  I run
UCW using the ucwctl script which essentially starts a lisp running in a
"detachtty" session.  I connect to Lisp via Emacs/SLIME to develop.

Really, the only complaint is that the setup seems to be a bit
memory-intensive.

I've modified my ucwctl script to load specific configuration files and
such, because I run multiple images on the same machine for different
customers.  If you're familiar with shell scripting, it's pretty
straightforward.

Make sure you're running a 2.6.8+ kernel if you use SBCL, and that it's
SBCL compiled with SB-THREAD support.

--
;; Matthew Danish -- user: mrd domain: cmu.edu
;; OpenPGP public key: C24B6010 on keyring.debian.org