[Lispweb] Causes for araneida to hang?

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Mon Sep 25 21:52:18 CDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 08:34:24PM -0500, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:
: It's kind of hard for me to help without more information. What

Ok, I'll try to help.

: implementation of Lisp? What OS? Threaded or serve-event? Are you
: using a reverse proxy (you ought to be) or not?

SBCL 0.9.11~ running on Debian.  I've not played with threads, so is there a
default setting?  I'm running pound to route port 80 to the server running on
port 8000.

: If you're not using a reverse proxy and you're using serve-event, then
: pretty much anything can hang the server. That's why you should have a
: reverse proxy set up.

I keep seeing messages that someone (or something) is trying to connect to
port 25, sendmail.  I think I need to tell the reverse proxy to ignore this,
correct?  Sorry, but I am totally new to running an exposed http server like
this, especially non-apache.

: If a handler goes off into a loop, then the server will hang too. You
: could set a timeout, though jumping out of a timeout to the toplevel
: is a potentially unsafe operation.

Hmm.  I guess that's possible.  I'm accessing a database backend and talking
in XML to the client.  I'm not sure though how I'd track down a timeout of
this type.

: It's possible that fd exhaustion can cause a hang too. Check to see if
: you're leaking file descriptors at all.

Would you give me a pointer in the right direction how to do this?  I have
seen a few messages about file descriptors, and then some 'can't connect,
trying harder' messages.

: Is the image which is running this connected to any other network
: services? I do have occasional hangs on http://paste.lisp.org/ which
: has 7 open connections to freenode IRC. My personal web servers never
: hang at all.

No, just the http port.

Jonathon McKitrick
--