Stability of book URLs

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Wed Apr 20 23:55:29 CDT 2005

Max Bowsher wrote:

> Currently, URLs to parts of the book suffer from a stability problem.
>
> If we add or delete sections (or worse, chapters!), then many URLs
> pointing to specific sections will be broken.
>

> To fix this, I propose the following:
>
> Step 1: Enable the parameter "use.id.as.filename"
> This will cause each file produced in the chunked HTML to take a name
> based on the id attribute of the XML element which caused the chunk,
> instead of the plain sequential system used currently.
>
> Step 2: Migrate the values of id attributes away from the primarily
> numerical system in use now, instead using descriptive names.

To quote something I've been hearing around the Chicago office lately
(but whose source I do not know):

    "I'm intrigued by your ideas, and would like to subscribe to your
    newsletter."

I would like to get clearance from O'Reilly on this, first, though.  We
used that scheme because it was described as The Way To Do It (nevermind
it was always a pain in the buttocks...).