Stability of book URLs

Ben Collins-Sussman sussman at red-bean.com
Sat Apr 23 14:34:27 CDT 2005

On Apr 21, 2005, at 10:54 AM, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Basically, I'm thinking that section numbers absolutely *are* going to
> change, and chapters might too, so we had must adopt a scheme that
> doesn't break when that happens.

I'm getting smacked by this problem right now.  I try to add a new
section, and then have to renumber all the subsequent sibling sections.
  And then I worry about xref's that are now pointing to valid -- but
incorrect -- section numbers.

We really should give our sections id's that are descriptive, like
"ch-4-using-branches", rather than "ch-4-sect-2.3", so that we have
some freedom to rearrange sections, insert new ones, etc.